Some days I just have a hard time being positive. Is that just me, or are we humans just more drawn to the negative? I would love to be a happy, positive, little ray of sunshine, but it just does not come natural to me, I have to work hard for it. And then on those days where I’m already more emotional than normal cause it’s a certain time of the month, and nothing seems to go as planned, me and the boyfriend are annoyed with each other, sometimes I just want to break things, scream, crawl in bed and cry. But I don’t get defeated that easily
How to stay positive
- Accept what you cannot change. Life is a mysterious, fragile thing and it’s so hard to know why some things happen when they do. To make it through this crazy world in one piece, we must accept what we cannot change. To find peace, we must respect what is. Accepting your current situation may be incredibly difficult but choosing not to accept it only causes angst and stress. Accepting it doesn’t mean you like it and doesn’t mean you wouldn’t give anything to change it… it only means you have a place of peace where you can recognise that some things are out of my control.
- Change the way you think. This is definitely easier said than done. When you find yourself thinking or saying a negative comment about something or someone, stop and force yourself to say something positive instead. Enlist the help of a cheerful friend to stop you when you complain and help you to see the positive in the situation.
- Allow yourself to vent every once in a while. Constantly ignoring your negative thoughts could add up. If you are really going through a rough time, don’t be afraid to share you feelings with a close friend or family member or see a therapist. Don’t feel ashamed if you need to talk through negative feelings.
- Accept responsibility. If something is bothering you, either fix it or accept that nothing can be done right now, so why complain? Complaining is a passive activity. Change that complaining into action to solve the problem or simple accept it and give your mind something else to focus on.
- Act like today is already an awesome day. Do so, and it will be. Research shows that although we think that we act because of the way we feel, in fact we often feel because of the way we act. A great attitude always leads to great experiences.
- Spend time with people who make you smile. Who nourishes and supports you? Surround yourself with these people. Spend time with those who reflect the person you want to be – people who do good things and make your life a little brighter simply by being in it.
- Be silly. Sometimes we take ourselves entirely too seriously. Let go. Be spontaneous and outrageous. Sometimes you just need a good laugh to lift your spirits.
- Take a walk without a destination. A brisk walk is a great way to get some exercise and clear your mind. Enjoy the breeze, breathe the fresh air, and be mindful of what you see, hear and feel.